I've seen videos left and right on YouTube and other sites showing people failing hard at pumping gas. And Let me get this straight, I'm from NJ....born and raised there. Recently, I went on vacation to San Diego CA and had to pump my own gas. It could not have been any more simple!
Detailed 14 step list on how to pump your own gas:
- Pull up to the pump
- Open fuel Door
- Take off Gas Cap (counter-clockwise turn)
- Select Credit or Cash on pump station (some only take Credit/Debit as mine did)
- Select fuel type
- Take nozzle off pump, (usually Black for standard fuel as opposed to Green)
- Stick nozzle in fuel take fill hole
- Press activation level on fuel pump nozzle assembly. *Most offer a latch so you can walk away while it fills.*
- As the tank fills to full, the pump will shut off on its' own.
- Take out nozzle and put back on the pump holder.
- Take your receipt.
- Replace fuel cap with a clockwise turn being sure it clicks AT LEAST 3 times so it seals well.
- Close fuel door
- Start car
I hope you've learned from this. Enjoy!